Alma-Tadema, Sir Lawrence
b.Jan. 8, 1836, Dronrijp, Netherlands.
d.June 25, 1912, Wiesbaden, Germany.
Painter and designer of Dutch birth. The son of a notary, Alma-Tadema demonstrated an early artistic ability. In 1852 he entered the Antwerp Academy, where he studied under Gustaf, Baron Wappers, and Nicaise de Keyser. An important influence at this time was Louis De Taye, Professor of Archaeology at the academy and a practising artist. Alma-Tadema lived and worked with De Taye from 1857 to 1859 and was encouraged by him to depict subjects from the early history of France and Belgium. This taste for historical themes increased when Alma-Tadema entered Baron Henri Leys studio in 1859 and began assisting him with his monumental frescoes for the Antwerp Town Hall. While in Leys studio, Alma-Tadema produced several major paintings, for example the Education of the Children of Clovis (1861; ex-Sir John Pender priv. col., see Zimmern, p. 3) and Venantius Fortunatus Reading his Poems to Radagonda (1862; Dordrecht, Dordrechts Mus.), which are characterized by their obscure Merovingian subject-matter, rather sombre colouring and close attention to detail. Related Paintings of Alma-Tadema, Sir Lawrence :. | Spring in the Gardens of the Villa Borghese (mk23) | A Sculpture Gallery in Rome at the Time of Augustus (mk23) | An Oleander (mk23) | Exhausted Maenides (mk23) | Hadrian Vistiting a Romano-British Pottery (mk23) |
Related Artists:Jeremiah Theus
(April 5, 1716 - May 17, 1774) was a Swiss-born American painter, primarily of portraits. He was active mainly around Charleston, South Carolina, in which city he remained almost without competition for the bulk of his career.
Theus was born in the city of Chur, in the Swiss canton of Graubenden, and was the eldest child of Simeon and Anna Walser Thees. He was nineteen when he immigrated with his family to the Province of South Carolina, whose General Assembly had provided land grants and transport funds to encourage European Protestants to settle in the colony. Simeon Thes was given 250 acres (1.0 km2) of land along the Edisto River in what was then Orangeburgh Township,Willem van
Dutch Baroque Era Painter, 1627-ca.1683Pietro Antoniani
born Milan circa 1740-1805